dressed up for the letdown

stereoarcade's Profile Page

Saturday, September 27, 2008

TrailerMania.

As anyone with eyes or ears knows, I love movies. I love them so much in fact I remember almost every bit of information I possibly can about every aspect of the production. I'm kind of an encyclopedia that way. So when I'm excited about a movie and expectations are big I usually go all out in my little immersions. This year that belongs to two films: Synecdoche NY and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button.

I've read Synecdoche NY twice now. People will hate this flick, and that'll mostly be because it frustrates them. It really wants to be the masterpiece it ultimately is, but Charlie Kaufman's not interested in playing anything safe. Just when you get used to his first weird twist, he throws another, and another, and another. It's not as confusing as they're making it out to be, but it is kind of an overload at first. Characters loop back portraying other characters all the while floating in and out of character. It's extremely surreal but polarizing on paper. I am Caden Cotard. This is the story of my life. Especially if you take the meaning of the word 'synecdoche'' literally.

David Fincher is my favorite director so to see him go from Se7en and Fight Club to Zodiac and something like The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button given his roots working for Industrial Light & Magic. Panic Room wasn't the greatest movie, but it was cool and suspenseful mostly due to excellent directing. Fincher knows how to make a movie. He's OCD over details, and that's exactly what I love about him as a director.

So here for you, these are my two favorite trailers so far this year.

Synecdoche NY


The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Note: To really get the most of the Benjamin Button trailer, I cannot stress enough checking out the 480p version @ Apple Trailers.


No comments: